Academic Regional Advisor:
Item 13 of Mersey Deanery School of Paediatrics Terms of Reference is to ensure that there is provision for potential progression into an academic career.
- The School has active initiatives to encourage medical students to go into Paediatrics
- Three students completed intercalated M.Phil in September 2009; 6 commenced in this academic year
- Four ACF posts filled (two further posts to be appointed January 2010)
- With the appointment of three academic foundation posts for August 2010, the Mersey Deanery is now able to offer a complete academic pathway
- Academic trainees have an an academic report assessed in parallel with their ARCP / RITA
- A high level of research and audit competence is expected of all Mersey trainees.
- To facilitate this all trainees have good learning opportunities, including modular courses on such topics as research methodology and evidence based child health.
- Trainees who undertake sufficient modules are able to apply for a Masters in Medical Science